play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Music 24/7 - Feel the vibe
    Online Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    Talk Shows - Stay Updated
    Online Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    Pillars and Plants - Gospel
    Online Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    Audio Stories - A new movie experience
    Online Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    Welcome to the Leading Lifestyle Internet Radio
    Online Radio

  • Home
  • keyboard_arrow_right Entertainment
  • keyboard_arrow_right ‘Rust’ Crew Member Files Negligence Lawsuit Over Fatal Shooting

Entertainment

‘Rust’ Crew Member Files Negligence Lawsuit Over Fatal Shooting

Oluwaseye Ogunsanya November 11, 2021 8


Background
share close

A crew member who experienced the fatal shooting on the “Rust” movie set in October has filed a negligence lawsuit on Wednesday against actor Alec Baldwin and the film’s producers.

According to the civil lawsuit filed in Los Angeles, Serge Svetnoy, the chief electrician on the set in Santa Fe, New Mexico, accused the producers and others of failing to implement safety standards and of enabling “a revolver loaded with live ammunition to be pointed at living persons on the Rust set”

Svetnoy’s lawsuit was thought to be the first filed in the accidental fatal shooting by Baldwin in October.

Authorities in Santa Fe are still investigating and no criminal charges have been brought against anyone.

Investigators said cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed on October 21, while director Joel Souza was wounded when a gun Baldwin had been told was safe fired off a live bullet. Other live rounds have also been found on the set.

“Film making is a wonderful art but no one should ever die for other people to be entertained,” Svetnoy’s attorney, Gary Dordick, told a news conference.

“They should never, never have had live rounds on this set,” Dordick added.

Svetnoy was one of a few people on set when the fatal shooting happened. He said in the lawsuit that he held Hutchins in his arms as she bled from being shot in the chest, adding that it would “haunt him forever.”

The lawsuit also names armorer Hannah Gutierrez, who was in charge of weapons, and assistant director Dave Halls, who told investigators it was he who handed Baldwin the gun during a rehearsal.

Representatives for Baldwin, who was also one of the producers, Halls, Gutierrez and the other producers did not immediately return requests for comment on Wednesday. The producers have previously said they are conducting their own internal investigation and were not made aware of any complaints concerning weapons safety on the set before the incident.

Dordick said Svetnoy, who is seeking unspecified damages, was not looking to make money from the lawsuit but to make sure better working and safety conditions on movie sets going forward.

“Mr Svetnov is not motivated by money … This lawsuit is to make these kind of unsafe conditions that happen too much on movie sets stop now,” Dordick said.

Tagged as: , , , .

Rate it
Previous post
Post comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *