play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Welcome to Online Radio
    The Leading Lifestyle Internet Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    Music 24/7 - Africana
    Online Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    Music 24/7 - International
    Online Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    Music 24/7 - Gospel
    Online Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    Music 24/7 - Latin America
    Online Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    Talk Shows - Stay Updated
    Online Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    Pillars and Plants - Gospel
    Online Radio

  • cover play_arrow

    Audio Stories - A new movie experience
    Online Radio

  • Home
  • keyboard_arrow_right News
  • keyboard_arrow_right I Was Sacked Over False Allegation Of Meeting With Atiku In Dubai – Onnoghen Opens Up

News

I Was Sacked Over False Allegation Of Meeting With Atiku In Dubai – Onnoghen Opens Up

Oluwaseye Ogunsanya March 19, 2021 22


Background
share close

Former Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Walter Onnoghen, says he was removed from office over rumours that he met with former vice-president, Atiku Abubakar.

Onnoghen who spoke publicly for the first time since his removal from office two years ago, attributed his sack to political maneuver adding that he was never given the chance to defend himself over allegations he freed high-profile criminals.

He revealed this on Friday at the unveiling of a book titled ‘Fundamental Rights (Enforcement Procedure) Rules, 2009, Practice, Procedure, Forms and Precedents’, by a legal luminary, Chief Ogwu James Onoja SAN.

A month to the 2019 elections, President Muhammadu Buhari had suspended Onnoghen as CJN based on a controversial order issued by the Code of Conduct Tribunal.

The CCT later convicted him for breaching the code of conduct for public officers and banned him from holding public office for 10 years.

By then, he had already resigned after the National Judicial Council (NJC) recommended him for compulsory retirement.

Onnoghen said he was never confronted with any of the allegations before being suspended.

“There were rumours that I met with Atiku in Dubai. But as I am talking here today, I have never met Atiku one on one in my life. As if that was not enough, I was also accused of setting free, some high-profile criminals, whereas I ceased to be a high court judge as far back as 1978,” he said.

“In supreme court, I did not sit alone, we sat in panel. In all these rumours and outright accusations, I was not given the opportunity to defend myself.

“Let me make it clear that the office of the CJN was not for Onnoghen, but for all Nigerians who swore to guide and protect the constitution of the federal republic.

“As I have said severally, judicial officers must be courageous. And I want to beg all serving judicial officers not to be discouraged by what happened to me in the hand of the executive arm of the government.”

He asked judges in the country to always insist on justice because “Nigeria is doomed” without such courage.

“Let me sound this note of warning that the appointment of judicial officers must never be allowed to be politicised, otherwise, democracy and democratic governance will be dead,” he said.

“During my tenure, the problem of Nigeria was not the Nigerian judiciary, but those who had no regard for the rule of law.

“We must therefore be committed to the rule of law and dispense justice without fear or favour. “Truth stands. Crush it, it will still stand because it is truth.”

Tagged as: , , , .

Rate it
Previous post
Post comments (0)

Leave a reply